In this virtual, pre-recorded program, students think like engineers to discover how shapes and materials work together to build structures. From the basic shapes of triangle, square and cylinder, students are challenged to build progressively larger structures, solving problems as they go.
Curriculum Outcomes Links
Grade 3 Science:
- Learners will construct a structure in response to a design challenge.
- Investigate shapes in structures
- Evaluate potential materials for use in construction
- Investigate ways materials are joined in construction
- Evaluate the structure according to design challenge criteria
Grade 3 Math:
- Students will be expected to describe 3-D objects according to the shape of the faces and the number of edges and vertices.
- Students will be expected to name, describe, compare, create, sort regular and irregular polygons, including triangles, quadrilaterals, pentagons, hexagons, and octagons according to the number of sides.
Video: 26 minutes
Program activities and challenges: 2 – 2.5 hours
1 class (30 students)
Video Program Outline
|04:02||Activity 1: Build Squares and Triangles|
|07:57||Activity 2: Build Cubes and Tetrahedrons|
|11:40||Challenge 1: Stronger Cubes|
|15:30||Challenge 2: Build Giant Tetras|
|21:44||Challenge 3: Build a Tower|
For further information, please contact Andrew Phillips at (902) 755-5425 or email email@example.com