Nova Scotia has made a wide range of goods over the years; from hockey skates to chocolate, from underwear to outerwear.
Some Highlights of the Collection:
- Skates from Starr Manufacturing of Dartmouth. The groundbreaking design created by John Forbes that was sold worldwide. We have examples of the skates and skate blades.
- Gas Engines: We have significant examples of the gas engines, many for marine use, that were made in NS by manufacturers like Acadia Gas Engines.
- Clothing: Nova Scotia had a significant textile and clothing sector at one time making underwear and work wear. We have collected made in Nova Scotia clothing as well as clothing for work.
- Edge Tools: we have a collection of 40 edge tools made in Nova Scotia including axes, adzes and slicks for the forestry industry, shipbuilding and general use.
- NS Glass: Trenton was home to a short-lived pressed glass industry that flourished from the early 1880s to the early 1900s. Our exhibits feature an impressive display of examples of this work.